ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[consumers-constituency-petition]

ALAC statement in support of Consumer Constituency

  • To: consumers-constituency-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ALAC statement in support of Consumer Constituency
  • From: Beau Brendler <beaubrendler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:01:46 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

As it did during its meeting of 28 April 2009, the At-Large Advisory Committee
(ALAC) states its support for the creation of the Consumers Constituency in the
non-commercial stakeholder group in the GNSO.

Given that one of the goals of the ALAC is to support the interests of all
individual Internet users, we strongly believe that consumer and public
interest groups must have a representative voice in the GNSO policy-making
environment.

We applaud the organizers' efforts to recruit additional organizations,
including most recently the Greek consumer group EKPIZO, and to obtain formal
commitments from those who have already expressed interest. Supporters of the
Consumers Constituency include consumer organizations and consumer
representatives in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Greece, Slovenia and the United
States. We understand that consumer organizations in France and Mexico have
indicated their interest in joining the Consumers Constituency. We see this
support as representing an impressive starting point for obtaining broad
geographic representation.

Therefore, we strongly encourage the Board to approve the Consumers
Constituency so its organizers can continue to recruit new members to ensure
the most solid foundation possible at this early stage of a constituencies’
progress and give consumer and public interest groups a voice in the GNSO
policy development process.