ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Doubts and Concerns

  • To: "cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx" <cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Doubts and Concerns
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:00:52 +0000

While I would support the concept of online safety I would have serious doubts
about what possible purpose this constituency could have, as the issue lies
with content, which is beyond the scope of ICANN's remit.

If the primary concern is protection of children, which it would appear to be,
then there are already several national and international bodies that are well
established to deal with this and have the existing contacts with law
enforcement and ISPs etc., See, for example, https://www.inhope.org/

Regards

Michele

--