ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Support of CyberSafety Constituency

  • To: <cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Support of CyberSafety Constituency
  • From: Ted EEman <imeeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:45:37 -0600

To whom it may concern,

As a web developer, I see the strong need for CyberSafety to pass.  The
internet is an amazing communication tool that is being used by young and old
alike.  I do not believe in censoring information.  However, pornographic
content is staining the smart, informational nature of the internet and has
become extremely hard to avoid for those who do not want to see it.  With no
intention of searching for pornography, I have been appauled when I do a web
search and pornography rears it's ugly head in the results.  I am not only
worried about my children accidentally accessing it, but it offends me and I am
an adult male over 25!

Having a separate dedicated port which can be accessed by those who WANT to
find pornography is the best argument I have heard yet.  With this intelligent
move in place, there are no "censors" and there is not a limit on the freedom
or expression of speech.  The simple fact that pornography is so difficult to
AVOID on the web has made it necessary to take immediate action.

The opposing arguments I have heard and read are illbased, illogical and
emotional.  They come straight from the avid searchers and traders of this
material.  Ask an intelligent person on the street if this would be a wise
choice and the answer would be yes.  What would our public libraries be like if
you went to a section to find a book and half of the results you had to sift
through were pornographic?  That is the way the interenet is now.

I have yet to read a reasonable argument opposing CyberSafety.  If you want to
find pornography, you can still find it.  If not... you won't.

In the most firm and polite way I can ask, please move forward with
CyberSafety.  It is the best way for all of us.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ted

Windows Live™ Contacts: Organize your contact list.