ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Recommendation against the formation of CyberSafety Constituency and Charter

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Recommendation against the formation of CyberSafety Constituency and Charter
  • From: Randy Wyatt <rwwyatt01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:48:57 -0700

Dear Sir or Madam;

  I would strongly recommend against the formation of this new group
for the following reasons:

1.) The group is duplicative of current internet safety advocacy
groups, and fails to allow for the inclusion of all current players in
the industry. There is already a rather significant industry which
directly addresses internet safety concerns.

2.)  The Internet is a global resource, and should not be subject to
the whims of one particular group.  I believe advocacy concerning
appropriate content is best left in the hands of people local to the
region.  ICANN should have a clear and consistent global policy.

3.) The proposed charter and mission is well beyond the scope of
ICANN's current mission and would be mission creep.

Security is the responsibility of each individual user of the
Internet.  I believe said organization can be formed outside the
confines of ICANN and still have a very good measure of success.

ICANN should only care about content when it poses a risk to
destabilize the internet at large.

Kind Regards,
Randy Wyatt