ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Support Cyber Safety

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Support Cyber Safety
  • From: The Heustons <theheustons@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:02:31 -0600

Hello.
I am in favor of clarity on the web.  I believe that part of the success of
companies such as Yahoo! (initially) and Google (more recently) is due to
their ability to help make bring structure to the vast complexity that is
the Internet.

Pornography is an incendiary issue that a strongly-opinionated group clearly
feels is harmful.  Whether or not everyone feels that way, I find it
difficult to find the harm in providing a simple way for those that choose
to opt out.  Since this group is not interested in seeing it in the first
place, it is a non-issue from a business standpoint - the potential
customers have already stated that they are not interested.  In some ways,
an architecture that supports the useful categorization of content might
actually help advertisers and content providers by allowing for efforts to
become more focused and therefore more cost-effective.

One of the greatest strengths of technology is its ability to allow for
individualization.  I believe that this petition is in line with this
strength and I therefore support it.

- Benjamin