ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Opposed: Cyber Safety Constituency

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed: Cyber Safety Constituency
  • From: Samuel Goldstein <samuelg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:43:58 -0700

As an Open Source Developer, professional web developer, and artist, I oppose the recognition of the "Cyber Safety Constituency" by ICANN. It is clear to me that the interest of the individuals proposing the Constituency is not in "balancing free speech and anonymity" but to remove them entirely.

Internet users (in nonauthoritarian countries) already have choices in the nature of their access the Internet. Protections, too, exist in the form of existing laws.

The CP80 Foundation, which Ms Preston represents, openly and unashamedly opposes "unfettered free expression and anonymity" -- not for themselves or their co-religionists, of course, but people who do not think the way they do, or share their values. By focusing on wedge issues such as pornography, they can gain a great deal of public support while hiding the true agenda. The easily firewalled (port-based) "Zoning" system they advocate for the Internet is a first step in being able to control all content. Who will make the determination what content is "objectionable" and must be relegated to the filterable channel?

Nowhere in ICANN's core values or mission statement is it indicated that ICANN is intended to be an arbiter of content: on the contrary, the stated values aim for freedom, neutrality, and interoperability.

I strongly recommend that ICANN reject this proposal.
    samuel, 5th rate miracle worker. <samuelg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Flower Mandalas for your Wall: http://libelle.imagekind.com
 A Collection of Unusual Teapots: http://www.madteapottery.com
       The Great Fogbound Empire: http://www.fogbound.net

   "If no / creature is immortal, some / are more stubborn
    than others." -- John Ciardi