ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cyber-safety-petition]

Opposed: content-neutral internet

  • To: cyber-safety-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed: content-neutral internet
  • From: Edwin Rots <edwin.rots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:00:57 +0100

I firmly believe this request is inconsistent with the internet as an open
place.  While the intentions of the petitioners are (without doubt) the
best, blocking content is a slippery slope - particularly on politically
"hot" topics.

Policing access to objectionable materials is not a government (or ICANN)
task, and the primary responsibility for ensuring children are not exposed
to this sort of material must ultimately lie with parents and guardians.

Last, I do not acknowledge CP80's right to determine what is or is not
objectionable on my behalf, and despite their US-centric focus, I would
remind them that the US represents only (a decreasing) part of the global
online presence.