ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[domain-tasting-2008]

Opposition to Domain Tasting

  • To: domain-tasting-2008@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposition to Domain Tasting
  • From: "Jimmy Bresee" <jimmybresee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:50:41 -0500

I'd like to voice my opposition to the current implementation of domain
tasting. While a five-day return period is laudable consumer protection, the
ability to immediately re-register a domain after return is a system ripe
for abuse. By repeatedly re-registering domain names, registrars and others
who abuse tasting are getting a free-- if unreliable-- domain name from
which to profit. By repeatedly tasting an immense number of domain names,
tasters are effectively creating wealth off of the backs of legitimate web
page owners and users.

In my opinion, ICANN should not allow this practice to continue. Large
tasters are making money at no expense, and providing no value to the
internet as a whole. Please, in keeping with the populist nature of the
Internet, make large scale tasters pay the same as everyone else to have an
internet presence.

To this end, I would propose a waiting period after the return of the domain
name. By denying registration of the domain name to anyone for a period of,
say, 30 days, you would eliminate much of the abuse of tasting while still
protecting consumers.

Thank you,
Jimmy Bresee