ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[domain-tasting-motion]

Domain Tasting Restriction

  • To: domain-tasting-motion@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Domain Tasting Restriction
  • From: DomainTasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:05:50 -0000

As someone who is not in the "Internet Business", this whole idea has
rather puzzled me. I merely want to put up the occasional web site
providing information that some may wish to access. Why should
mechanised scams on the basis of "Domain Tasting even be permitted to
take precedence over my needs. And they do take precedence because
the domain tasters can do it without charge, whereas I must always
pay.

This then leads on to a problem with what I will call "Self
Registration". That is the practice of domain registrars who offer a
"Check to see if your proposed domain is available" service. The snag
is that if you use their portal to check, but don't immediately
purchase, next time you look, perhaps now wishing to buy, you find
that the registrar has purchased it for themselves, and will sell it
on for a "small fee" that is vastly in excess of the regular domain
price!

My support is for:
*    withdrawing the subsidy on domain tasting, and making those operators
     pay the full price up front just like the ordinary user.
*    forbidding registrars, or their staff in person, from registering any
     domain name except that they use within one month solely for the
     purposes of their own business.

Jeff Deacon