ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[domain-tasting-motion]

Re[2]: [ga] Current Drafted Motion - Another Sort of Speculation?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re[2]: [ga] Current Drafted Motion - Another Sort of Speculation?
  • From: Karl Peters - TLDA <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:07:21 -0500

I strongly agree with Chris' points regarding the difference between
speculation and "tasting" and his clear illustration of how this loophole is
used to dominate and control a whole industry that is supposed to be a service
to the public by impartial registrars allowed to participate and profit from
the sale of these address leases. (domains) Whether huge parties, as described
by Chris, or smaller parties just out to make a fast dollar as I suspect the
people who tried to sell me a .com probably were, it is manipulation of a bad
policy to corrupt the intent that ICANN was set up to administer and ICANN
should eliminate this provision, at least until they can determine some way to
make it free of undue abuse. (I'm not at all sure this can be achieved!)

Thank you , Chris, for your contribution!

-Karl E. Peters