ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[domain-tasting-motion]

RE: [ga] Current Drafted Motion - Another Sort of Speculation?

  • To: <chris@xxxxxx>, <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <domain-tasting-motion@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Current Drafted Motion - Another Sort of Speculation?
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:53:17 +0100

You are right, it is just semantics. If the current motion was approved
many thousands of domains per month would still be abused in standard
domain tasting mode. I use term 'speculation' in terms of apparent
intent to keep the tasting practice, in smaller volume though.

Nevertheless, I see a problem with distinguishing between tasting and
speculation as you have depicted it. Tasting is much more than just
non-paying for domains. Do you think that domain tasting phenomenon
would disappear if the deletion/re-registration fee was say $0.01? No,
because not all people have the same opportunity to participate on the
practice on equal basis. As long as tasting practice remains a privilege
of registrars, this practice will always have to be considered abuse,
regardless of paying or non-paying for such domains.

Dominik