ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

Comments Regarding Expressions of Interest Process

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments Regarding Expressions of Interest Process
  • From: Mark Nygren <mark.nygren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:05:40 +0000

Dear ICANN,

I would like to state my comments for the current Expressions of Interest
("EOI") process, and appreciate the opportunity to make my views heard.

OVERALL SUPPORT OR NON-SUPPORT FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
I support Expressions of Interest

SUBMISSION FEE
There is discussion about the $55,000 (USD) submission fee.   I support a
higher fee because it would discourage gaming the process.

MANDATORY NATURE OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
There is also a question about whether Expressions of Interest should be
mandatory for those applying for a new TLD.  New TLD applicants should be
required to submit an EOI.

REFUNDS
The current EOI model will provide refunds of the submission fee only in
extraordinary circumstances, or unless ICANN is unable to accept new TLD
applications by a particular date.  Refunds should be allowed only in limited
circumstances.

COMMUNICATION PERIOD
ICANN's draft EOI model contemplates a four-month communication period prior to
accepting EOI submissions. Four months is about right for the communications
plan.

PUBLICATION OF DATA
Finally, there is a question about whether data collected from EOIs should be
made public. ICANN should publish all strings and applicants.

OTHER COMMENTS

Signed,
Mark Nygren

mark.nygren@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[This comment comes via the ICANN comment form found at
http://www.mindsandmachines.com/2010/01/let-icann-know-your-position-on-expressions-of-interest.
  This form provides brief descriptions of the issues and allows easy comment
on the Expressions of Interest process.]