ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

COMMENT on Draft EOI Model

  • To: <draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: COMMENT on Draft EOI Model
  • From: "Marion Hack" <mhack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:01:22 -0800

Please accept my comment in support for the structure and timeline of
the Draft Expressions of Interest and Pre-Registration Model as proposed
by ICANN.

I believe that ICANN is proposing a long needed framework for the
initial stage of evaluating interest in new gLTDs.  From my viewpoint,
the Pre-Registration Model that has been proposed is methodical and
addresses valid concerns of the stakeholders in the new gTLD process.
The following proposals will be especially effective to not only the
stakeholders but ICANN in evaluating legitimate interest in new gTLDs.

1.       Mandatory participation the EOI process in order to be eligible
to submit a gTLD application in the first round.  This will flush out
the magnitude of true interest in new gTLDs and as long as the process
is transparent (which is critical), it will alert parties to any
possible trademark issues early, minimizing future legal issues.

2.      The required deposit of $55,000.  While this amount I feel is a
tad high ($40,000 would be sufficient) I believe it is a very important
that potential applicants demonstrate their seriousness in acquiring a
new gTLD.   Requiring a substantial financial commitment will deter
frivolous applications and possible hoarding of new gTLDs.

I personally strongly support ICANN moving forward with this proposed
model as soon as feasible.

 Marion T. Hack, Esq.
 Gibbs, Giden, Locher Turner & Senet  LLP
 1880 Century Park East, 12th Floor
 Los Angeles, California 90067
 (310) 552-3400
 www.gglts.com <http://www.gglt.com>

IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance
with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you
that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written to
be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding
penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
marketing or recommending to another party any transaction
or matter addressed herein.

CAUTION: PRIVILEGED AND/OR CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS INTERNET E-MAIL MESSAGE AND THE ATTACHMENTS,
IF ANY,
ARE PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND INTENDED SOLELY FOR THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY
NAMED ABOVE.
IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, OR THE EMPLOYEE OR
AGENT
RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE MESSAGE TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE
HEREBY NOTIFIED
THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR REPRODUCTION OF THIS COMMUNICATION, OR
ANY PART
HEREOF, IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN
ERROR, PLEASE
NOTIFY GIBBS, GIDEN, LOCHER TURNER  & SENET LLP BY TELEPHONE (310) 552-3400 AND
DELETE THE