ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

Comments Regarding Expressions of Interest Process

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments Regarding Expressions of Interest Process
  • From: Michele Neylon Blacknight <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:04:39 +0000

Dear ICANN,

I would like to state my comments for the current Expressions of Interest
("EOI") process, and appreciate the opportunity to make my views heard.

OVERALL SUPPORT OR NON-SUPPORT FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
I support Expressions of Interest I support anything that will move the process
forward. Whether that is EOI, a variant of it or something else.

SUBMISSION FEE
There is discussion about the $55,000 (USD) submission fee.   I support a lower
fee because it's fairer.  While the "open" or more "commercial" new TLD
projects would not have any issue with a $55k fee I still have reservations
about treating all TLD applicants in the same manner financially.

I think that some of the cultural / linguistic and regional applicants, for
example, have very strong cases for having their own namespace. I also think
that using financial power as a blocker is unreasonable and that for those
types of applicants the emphasis should be on the operational aspects of the
application process.

MANDATORY NATURE OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
There is also a question about whether Expressions of Interest should be
mandatory for those applying for a new TLD.  New TLD applicants should be
required to submit an EOI.  While I support the concept of using EOI to clear
the water I can see why some people may oppose this view. However I still think
that a community driven process that moves things forward should be welcomed.

REFUNDS
The current EOI model will provide refunds of the submission fee only in
extraordinary circumstances, or unless ICANN is unable to accept new TLD
applications by a particular date.  Refunds should be granted on demand  If
people decide that after whatever comes out of all this that they simply cannot
proceed with their application then they should get a refund.
Apart from anything else, for the smaller community and regional applicants
funding at any level may be a contentious point and the flat refusal to provide
any refund would be a bad idea.
It might, however, be prudent to levy an administrative fee eg. 10% - though
this would depend on how ICANN handles the fees. If they are placed in an
interest earning account then the funds would actually help ICANN with the
entire process, as they'd earn interest

COMMUNICATION PERIOD
ICANN's draft EOI model contemplates a four-month communication period prior to
accepting EOI submissions. Four months is too long for the communications plan.
 While I do agree that ICANN needs to make itself more appealing to the general
public I also firmly believe that a lot of people have spent a lot of their
time and energy working on new TLDs. To expect them to wait any longer is
unreasonable.
Anyone who has a serious interest in new TLDs either knows about them by now or
has been living in a cave somewhere.

PUBLICATION OF DATA
Finally, there is a question about whether data collected from EOIs should be
made public. ICANN should publish all strings and applicants.  Transparency is
probably the sanest way to deal with this. Once the process moves forward
applicants won't be able to hide anyway, so why not come out now and gain an
advantage?

OTHER COMMENTS
ICANN needs to either move forward with TLDs now or shelve the entire process.
There has been far too much dithering about it and this is not helped by the
way that ICANN announces a lot of these processes. If you were not an ICANN
insider you'd have expected new TLDs to already be up and running based on the
PR spin put out during the Paris ICANN meeting.

Signed,
Michele Neylon
Blacknight
michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[This comment comes via the ICANN comment form found at
http://www.mindsandmachines.com/2010/01/let-icann-know-your-position-on-expressions-of-interest.
  This form provides brief descriptions of the issues and allows easy comment
on the Expressions of Interest process.]