ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-registrar-dp]

Proposed Registrar Disqualification Procedure

  • To: draft-registrar-dp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed Registrar Disqualification Procedure
  • From: Cliff Smith <csmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 13:25:46 -0500

I am a business and recreational user of the Internet. As a business, I need to maintain a stable email address so my customers and potential customers can easily contact me or my associates. Due to a very lax international opinion on unsolicited (Spam) email, I have had to endure Spam attacks in a variety of methods.

Obviously, anyone can make an email "From" and "Reply To" addresses anything they wish. Many ISP's restrict outgoing email to those which contain an address that is served by their email servers only. The ones who do not so restrict email traffic allow abusive users to "spoof" unwitting recipients with false information. I receive over 70 emails a day that would seemingly be sent by me to myself. I know these to be Spam, but I still have to deal with them. Add the 40-50 additional Spam emails I get daily to my account alone and you can see why this is important to me.

I had my email Spoofed so badly that I was receiving hundreds, literally, of replies per hour from ISP's stating the message I sent was undeliverable, or they had restricted delivery. I was even restricted by my own ISP due to the volume of email I was receiving. I was threatened to have my account terminated, and all because someone else was sending Spam which identified my email address as the sender. I had to disable that email address to simply ease the load on my system and to appease my ISP. This was my main contact email address for my customers, suppliers, and potential clients.

It is needed to have procedures in place that call to bear on registrars and registrants who are abusing the system to their own benefit. I feel the proposed disqualification procedure is a step in the right direction to stop this onslaught of Spam email that takes up valuable time and resources of individuals and businesses.

I hope ICANN will not stop here. There is more to do to identify these people and stop their intrusion. There are voluntary services that amass Spam email and generate reports and statistics about what is transpiring. It would be helpful to have official channels whereby individuals and businesses could forward Spam email to ICANN, as well as other organizations, so quick action can take place.

By seeing the transmission of these Spam emails, the email server operators and the intermediary transmission authorities can be notified to desist. Blocks can be placed, temporarily or permanently, on IP addresses, and/or domains, to prevent the offending Spam email from entering the network. Failing this, much like DNS servers, there could be an official Spam-Ban server updated from official sources to identify what, if any bans needed to be added or removed.

As mentioned, the proposed disqualification procedure is needed and far overdue. I thank you for taking the necessary steps to address the issues. I thank you in advance for continuing the fight to keep the Internet as "user friendly" as possible.

Sincerely,
Clifford Smith, V.P. Operations
Heartland Electronic Services
Cincinnati/Hamilton, OH, USA
(513) 829-5704

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090303-0, 03/03/2009
Tested on: 3/3/2009 1:25:46 PM