ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-registrar-dp]

Comments on Draft Registrar Disqualification Procedure

  • To: draft-registrar-dp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Draft Registrar Disqualification Procedure
  • From: Joe St Sauver <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:48:24 -0800

Hi,

I write today to express my personal support for
the new proposed registrar disqualification procedure.

That said, I believe that this proposal would be
materially strengthened if examples were provided
describing concrete examples of the sort of "harms"
envisioned in section 3.

 From my perspective, I see at least three broad
categories of "harms" which deserve attention:

1) Harms to ICANN Itself

For instance, consider a registrar which (for whatever
reason) is routinely allowing bogus point of contact
information to be entered into domain whois data.

Those errors often subsequently result in WDPRS reports
about the inaccuracies, sometimes at volumes that stagger
ICANN's staff or systems. That sort of registrar behavior
is a prime example of a harm to ICANN which I hope and
believe the proposed new policy might help to address.

2) Harms to Registries

Or consider the harm to a registry which occurs
if/when a spammer decides to broadly employ large
numbers of domains from a particular TLD. I'm sure we can
all think of gTLDs which suffered substantial damage to
deliverability and domain values when spammers decided
that they really liked domains from a particular TLD.

Empowering and requiring relevant authorities to take
timely action against abused domains will preserve
deliverability of traffic associated with legitimate
domain holders, and protect the value of domains
(and TLD brands!) which might otherwise suffer
substantial and potentially irreparable diminution.

3) Harms to Registrants

Another clear example of a "harm" would be damage
to registrants which might occur when a registrar
whose associated privacy service provides effectively
no means for routine contact with a private domain
registrant.

Thus, for example, if someone were to file a UDRP
action against a domain and the panelist(s) reviewing
that case were to attempt to contact the domain holder,
the registrar's privacy service "/dev/null" delivery
process might summarily discard that contact attempt
with the result that the intent of the UDRP process
is frustrated registrant might lose their domain by
default -- a clear harm to the registrant.

Or consider a registrar intentionally trying to trick
users into changing registrars, or a registrar who might
make it unconscienably difficult to transfer a domain
in an effort to avoid curstomer churn. Again, clear
harms, and hopefully harms that the new proposed policy
will allow ICANN to definitively address in their
work with registrars, registries and registrants.

If you do elect to incorporate examples of the sort
mentioned above, please also be sure to clarify that
the enumeration of specific examples is meant to be
illustrative but not exhaustive; obviously there are
many other potential examples of harms which the
proposed policy could also work to ameliorate beyond
the few examples mentioned above.

Thank you for your work on this policy, and for
considering these comments.

Best regards,

Joe

Disclaimer: all opinions strictly my own.