ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[drawing-prioritization]

.PARIS comment: "Drawing" Proposal and Public Interest

  • To: drawing-prioritization@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .PARIS comment: "Drawing" Proposal and Public Interest
  • From: "Werner Staub (CORE)" <werner.staub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 00:21:42 +0100

I forward this comment from Jean-Philippe Clément, ICT project manager, City of Paris. The signed document is attached.

Start of forwarded message
---------------------------------------

To the members and advisers of the
New gTLD Committee
of the ICANN Board of Directors

“Drawing” Proposal and Public Interest

Ladies and Gentlemen,

On behalf of the .PARIS TLD Project, I wish to reiterate the point made by Mr. Jean-Louis Missika, Deputy Mayor of Paris, in his letter of February 8, 2012, to Dr. Steve Crocker (please see
http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/missika-to-crocker-08feb12-en)

A steward of a public resource must give priority to the public interest. It is inappropriate to set public policy priorities by way of a random process.

While the present “Drawing” proposal correctly identifies the introduction of IDN TLDs as a public-interest priority, it fails to make other necessary distinctions. These include:

1. Distinction between projects that rest upon a credible public-interest governance model and projects with no guarantees of public accountability. The gTLD applications made or supported by public authorities have intrinsic public-interest governance.

2. Distinction between projects serving a widely shared interest and those serving an individual party’s self-interest. It is a generally accepted principle of public management that the larger community interest takes precedence over the narrow self-interest.

3. Distinction based on affected parties’ preferences. A self-selected time window later in the process can be better than a random chance of early processing. It is possible to accommodate preferences of relative or absolute positioning to a large degree. Applicants must be given the opportunity to express those preferences.

I urge the ICANN Board New gTLD Committee to revise the current proposal based on the criteria above.

Yours truly,

Jean-Philippe Clément
Secrétariat Général
Chargé de mission TICC

End of forwarded message

--
CORE Internet Council of Registrars   http://corenic.org
WTC II, 29 route de Pre-Bois, CH-1215 Geneva, Switzerland