ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa-phase-1-report]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Rogue Twinning, Updating Security Alerts, Intellectual Property & Disability

  • To: dssa-phase-1-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Rogue Twinning, Updating Security Alerts, Intellectual Property & Disability
  • From: Gregory Shepherd <greg.d.shepherd99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:57:07 +1000

Hi,
I am a sole inventor-developer with around thirty years background in the
service industry as a domestic electronics technician. Since my application
for a provisional patent, I have further experience in combatting malware
and malware-infected software. My use of antivirus programs has also been a
learning curve and combined with database records has resulted in
circumstances that find me a victim of the new legislation of the Rudd
labour government in Australia. I am also the recipient of a disability
pension.
After I had completed my patent application, it came to my attention that
the twisted-pair from my residence in a small country town had been severed
and equipment placed in series with my service.
Since that time, certain records have been extremely difficult to attain
and it was required of me to request that archives be searched by the
appropriate organizations. I also salvaged an old Pentium III that was
being dumped. This machine was infected with a virulent virus that also
migrated to my thumb drives in the process of eradication before I
partitioned the IBM hard drive, and the infection spread to my main
computer. I promptly removed the offender with my registered copy of Norton
360. I am now using Norton Mobile Security.
About four weeks ago I found that my Hotmail account had been compromised
and there was a delay of thirty minutes on inbox and outbox. The timestamps
were thirty minutes ahead of my time zone, and after further investigation
of my email settings, I found that the time zone had been set to Lord Howe
Island. I reset to the correct time zone, and closed a redirection from an
old email address and the timestamps were corrected. However, the online
pages are still HTTP and I can only logon HTTPS.
Bearing these circumstances in mind and also the environment of
intellectual property and disability, especially in small country towns, I
have four suggestions which may help others in the future.
1) All possible OEM flags be reported with an infection in security
software,
2) That security community alerts be updated and revised on a daily basis,
3) Only HTTPS be used throughout with online email accounts,
4) All online accounts have an inactivity reset feature to avoid any
unauthorized access.

Wayne B Morris

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>