ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa-phase-1-report]

SSAC Comment on the DNS Security & Stability Analysis Working Group Phase I Report

  • To: "dssa-phase-1-report@xxxxxxxxx" <dssa-phase-1-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: SSAC Comment on the DNS Security & Stability Analysis Working Group Phase I Report
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:38:33 -0700

SSAC Comment on the DNS Security and Stability Analysis Working

Group Phase I Report

The Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) thanks ICANN for this
opportunity to comment on the DNS Security andStability Analysis Working Group
Phase I Report. Members of the SSAC have participated in this Working Group and
helped to develop this important report.  The SSAC as a whole supports the work
of this Group and agrees that the Phase I Report is a “pioneering”
cross-constituency security-assessment effort that has developed knowledge and
processes that the community may find helpful.

The SSAC notes that in its Phase I Report the Working Group has provided to the
community an important guide to DNS risk analysis.  In particular, the
risk-assessment methodology, mechanisms to collect and consolidate
risk-assessment scenarios, and the “alpha-test” of the systems to develop the
high-level risk scenarios all provide a starting point for future work.
Furthermore, by establishing guidelines for the handling of confidential
information the Working Group has provided thecommunity with an important tool.

The SSAC looks forward to continuing its participation in this Working Group
and with the community on the next phase of this important work.