ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] Availability issue on last call

  • To: "dssa@xxxxxxxxx" <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dssa] Availability issue on last call
  • From: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 11:14:24 -0400

I asked on the last call whether we should have two categories of
"availability," generally system availability vs data availability. Olivier
asked a question later that
suggested there might be a disconnect in what I was trying to say and what came
over the wires.

I wasn't talking about information being available universally and reliably,
although that is a legitimate issue. My point was that availability often is
used in the context
of, for example, whois debates; privacy/proxy services and tiered access come
to mind.

Three questions:

Is the kind of availability that I was thinking about a security and stabiity
issue at all?
Is Olivier's universal and reliable a subset of my topic or different entirely?
Feel free to answer, Olivier. :)
If universal and reliable is different, to what extent is it a part of system
availability?

Don

Don M. Blumenthal
Senior Policy Advisor, .ORG The Public Interest Registry
dblumenthal@xxxxxxx
734.418.8242
202.431.0874 (m)
skype: donblumenthal