ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

RE: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI
  • From: Greg Aaron <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:22:40 -0400

Hi, Mikey.  I think typosquatting's out of scope, full stop.  By allowing
that example in, we'd be allowing virtually any kind security problem or
threat vector back into scope again, simply if it was directed against a
registry operator.  That is too much; a rabbit hole we'd never emerge
from.

A lot of things come down to following good IT and administrative
practices, like: having a fundamentally sound network architecture, not
losing one's passwords, and using the UDRP or legal mechanisms when you
need to.  There are bodies who do IT best practices better than we do, and
ICANN's not in a position to explore all that kind of stuff.

All best,
--Greg