ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI

  • To: dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [dssa] Interesting article -- probably out of scope for us, but FYI
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:30:57 -0500

hi all,

i thought some of you (being that we're a gaggle of security type people) might
be interested in this article about typosquatting domain names as a way to
passively harvest sensitive email.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/09/researchers-typosquatting-snarfed-20gb-worth-of-fortune-500-e-mails.ars

given that we're testing our "scope" rules this week, i thought i'd also use
this as a test case.  i would think that the general use-case of this would be
out of scope (malicious use of a domain name).  but it would be in scope if it
were used as an attack vector on a registry or registrar.  right?

so does that mean that we should build a section of our report that collects
these attack-vectors for possible inclusion in a "best practices" section?

food for thought, low priority.

mikey

PS -- i have the corp.com domain, which started getting masses of this kind of
email as soon as i registered it in the mid-'90's.  i didn't realize it until i
wildcarded the MX for the domain one day and immediately crashed my server.
for example, somebody would mis-address mail to HRDept@xxxxxxxxxxxx rather than
the correct HRDept@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  so there are other variants of this
vulnerability and perhaps an opportunity for somebody to do a great good deed
by educating folks about this.  btw, i immediately dropped the MX record out of
that domain…  :-)

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com