ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] a thread for Dakar-meeting feedback

  • To: dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [dssa] a thread for Dakar-meeting feedback
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 10:20:43 -0500

hi all,

here's a little thread where you can all post comments/feedback you receive
during the course of the Dakar meeting.  i'll start it by passing along a
couple of notes i took during the DSSA-update session at the GNSO yesterday.

Jeff Neuman (NeuStar, Registries, Vice-Chair of the GNSO Council) commented on
our scope -- expressing concern that our scope is perhaps too narrow and may be
misperceived by people outside the process as too focused on the root and TLD
levels of the DNS.  he made the point that "DNS" means a much broader thing to
many and they may be disappointed when they see our scope statement.  he
encouraged us to, at a minimum, make our scope statement really clear in our
final report

Bill Manning and James Galvin had a conversation about the mutual compatibility
of  DNSSEC and DNS RPZ (here's a Paul Vixie blog post about RPZ -
https://www.isc.org/community/blog/201007/taking-back-dns-0).  Bill started
with a comment that the two may be an either/or choice, that they may not be
compatible with each other.  James questioned that.  Bill responded with
reference to a very recent interaction with Paul V. in which Paul said he
didn't know how to make the two approaches coexist.

any other comments/ideas/feedback that people are hearing?  are you finding
copies of our "one pager" helpful?

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356