ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] RE: Revised Draft Confidentiality Guidelines

  • To: dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] RE: Revised Draft Confidentiality Guidelines
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:54:25 -0600

hi all,

i'm pulling the questions into the email flow and taking a crack at my
understanding of where we're at.  in the order they appear in the draft…

Don -- "Will subgroup involvement be required of all members? If so, this point
couold be problematic if all of the groups need to handle confidential
information."

My thoughts -- no, sub-group involvement is definitely not required.  we're
imagining that just as there are the "regulars" on the teleconferences, there
will be a subset of the DSSA who will want to participate in the subgroups.
and conversely, it may turn out that we need subgroups to do work on
NON-confidential information -- in which case this document does not apply.

Don and Jacques -- regarding the separate email-distribution system -- "use of
PGP encryption?   Can ICANN provide a secure system for this purpose? I see the
need for email security but PGP does not work in any reasonable fashion with
some email systems and clients "

My thoughts -- we left this open in this stage of the draft.  we decided to
treat that puzzle as an implementation detail if and when we got closer to the
point of needing it.  we figured that the members of the subgroup might have
some ideas (or resources) regarding this as well.  but we left that undecided
for now.

Don -- speaking to the kind of information that sub-group members might receive
-- "I would remove 'technical.' I can imagine situations where, for example,
the information might involve business processes."

My thoughts -- i agree, good catch

Jacques -- speaking to the "highest standard of protection" attribute of Type1
information -- "this should be furthered defined in this document or another,
information storage and access, encryption, etc…"

My thoughts -- this was intended to a relative term, on the range of
lowest-protection to highest-protection.  again, we left the details of the
implementation to another day and presumed that when we got closer to actually
using this framework we would have a better idea of what the requirements might
be.

Don -- commenting on the removal of a sub-group member (very last paragraph) --
"This could happen two ways: a repudiation or one of the vouching members
dropping out. I suggest clarifying that it apply only to the first case."

My thoughts -- we discussed this very question and came to the opposite
conclusion, i think mostly based on the way OARC does stuff but i can't
remember.  the notion here is that we're trying to maintain an
actively-affirmed level of trust for all members of the sub-group.  the risk is
that a member could become an "island" in the trust chain if one or both of
their "vouch" people leave the group, thus making info-providers uncomfortable
with sharing.  so our thought was that if a person lost one or both of their
endorsers, they'd probably find it fairly easy to recruit a few more -- but
that if they didn't, we avoid potential embarrassment (or worse) by simply
having a matter-of-fact rule that removes them from the sub-group until they do.

great comments!  thoughts?

mikey

On Jan 25, 2012, at 12:37 PM, Don Blumenthal wrote:

> Some thoughts on top of the document from Jacques. As he said, the document
> is very good.
>
> Don
>

> From: Jacques Latour <jacques.latour@xxxxxxx<mailto:jacques.latour@xxxxxxx>>
> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:10:55 -0500
> To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>>
> Cc: "dssa@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dssa@xxxxxxxxx>"
> <dssa@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dssa@xxxxxxxxx>>
> Subject: [dssa] RE: Revised Draft Confidentiality Guidelines
>
> Hi,
>
> I just have a few comments/questions in the document, mostly around how we
> handle sensitive information within the sub-groups.
>
> Other than that, it looks good.
>
> Jacques

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356