ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] RE: Revised Draft Confidentiality Guidelines

  • To: dssa@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] RE: Revised Draft Confidentiality Guidelines
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:03:43 -0600

hi Don,

i'm still going to push back.  remember -- the goal of this process is to
protect information, not the feelings of the people handling it.  a key facet
of the vouching process is that in addition to a chain of *trust* that's
extended to the people vouched-in to the group, there's also a chain of
*accountability* that stretches back to the people doing the vouching.

so let's say that i vouch for Person 1, they vouch for Person 2, they in turn
vouch for Person 3.  i'm in some way accountable for the actions of all three
of those people because it's on that initial vouch that all three of them got
into the group.  if Person 2 in my chain goes away, i really don't want to be
accountable for Person 3.  i want them either to reestablish the chains of
accountability *and* trust or drop out of the subgroup.

i don't think that the "dropping out" scenario will come up very often, because
i imagine these secured sub-groups will have a pretty short, pretty targeted
life -- after they're done, i'm expecting them to be disbanded and other groups
formed to handle different questions.

the reason the this is such an "anti" feeling thing is because the cost of a
failure is so high.  i'm quite cheerful about that, because it also opens the
door to some really useful analysis which in turn may have a positive impact
for lots of people.  but i myself wouldn't vouch anybody if i knew that i could
be creating "islands" in the chain -- and if i were an info-provider i probably
wouldn't share my data with such a group.

sorry to be such a grouch.  :-)

mikey

On Jan 25, 2012, at 6:58 PM, Don Blumenthal wrote:

> Mikey,
>
> I'm OK with all of your thoughts except on the last point. I understand
> the reasoning but the dynamics concern me.
>
> The approach seems to put the vouched-for person in a constant state of
> probation if he or she has to be concerned about getting another sponsor
> each time a previous one might leave. If someone is trusted enough to be
> added, I think that the person should stay until demonstrating an abuse of
> the trust. Of course, that should apply to us originals as well as
> newcomers.
>
> Don
>

> On 1/25/12 6:54 PM, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> hi all,
>>
>> i'm pulling the questions into the email flow and taking a crack at my
>> understanding of where we're at.  in the order they appear in the draftŠ
>>
>> Don -- "Will subgroup involvement be required of all members? If so, this
>> point couold be problematic if all of the groups need to handle
>> confidential information."
>>
>> My thoughts -- no, sub-group involvement is definitely not required.
>> we're imagining that just as there are the "regulars" on the
>> teleconferences, there will be a subset of the DSSA who will want to
>> participate in the subgroups.  and conversely, it may turn out that we
>> need subgroups to do work on NON-confidential information -- in which
>> case this document does not apply.
>>

>> Don and Jacques -- regarding the separate email-distribution system --
>> "use of PGP encryption?   Can ICANN provide a secure system for this
>> purpose? I see the need for email security but PGP does not work in any
>> reasonable fashion with some email systems and clients "
>>
>> My thoughts -- we left this open in this stage of the draft.  we decided
>> to treat that puzzle as an implementation detail if and when we got
>> closer to the point of needing it.  we figured that the members of the
>> subgroup might have some ideas (or resources) regarding this as well.
>> but we left that undecided for now.
>>

>> Don -- speaking to the kind of information that sub-group members might
>> receive -- "I would remove 'technical.' I can imagine situations where,
>> for example, the information might involve business processes."
>>
>> My thoughts -- i agree, good catch
>>

>> Jacques -- speaking to the "highest standard of protection" attribute of
>> Type1 information -- "this should be furthered defined in this document
>> or another, information storage and access, encryption, etcŠ"
>>
>> My thoughts -- this was intended to a relative term, on the range of
>> lowest-protection to highest-protection.  again, we left the details of
>> the implementation to another day and presumed that when we got closer to
>> actually using this framework we would have a better idea of what the
>> requirements might be.
>>

>> Don -- commenting on the removal of a sub-group member (very last
>> paragraph) -- "This could happen two ways: a repudiation or one of the
> [...]

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com