ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

Re: [dssa] please review: first-draft scale-choices for the "Impact"analysis

  • To: "dssa@xxxxxxxxx" <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dssa] please review: first-draft scale-choices for the "Impact"analysis
  • From: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:14:58 -0500

Mikey,

Very good. The lists add a lot of clarity and I don't see anything that needs
changing or should be added.

Don

From: Mikey O'Connor <mike@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:04:39 -0500
To: "dssa@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dssa@xxxxxxxxx>"
<dssa@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:dssa@xxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [dssa] please review: first-draft scale-choices for the
"Impact"analysis

hi all,

here's my first try at the reworked "impact" scales from the call today.  there
are two that we vote on and one that we use to describe the nature of the
impact for each threat event.

i'm hoping that we'll use some revised version of the first two of these to
evaluate the list of threat events on our next call.  so please take a hard
look and offer improvements here on the list over the next few days.  Jorg and
Jim are especially encouraged to focus on the "Range of impact" scale -- i've
thrown a few options in there as a starting point, it would be great to get
those nailed down before we go back to work next Thursday.

thanks,

mikey

 - - - - -

Range of impact

  10 -- sweeping, involving almost all of the users of the DNS (100%?
>1,000,000,000?)

  8 -- extensive, involving most of the users of the DNS (80%? >100,000,000?)

  5 --wide-ranging, involving a significant portion of users of the DNS (30%?
>10,000,000?)

  3 --limited, involving some of the users of the DNS (10%?, 1,000,000?)

  1 -- minimal, involving few if any of the users of the DNS (1%?, 100,000?)

Severity of impact

  10 -- Multiple severe or catastrophic adverse effects

  8 -- A severe or catastrophic effect

  5 -- Serious adverse effect

  3 -- Limited adverse effect

  1 -- Negligible adverse effect

Type of impact

Note: this is not an "evaluation" scale, but rather a description of what the
impact would be.  Here's a starter list, a heavily-culled version of the
examples provided in the methodology:

TABLE H-2: EXAMPLES OF ADVERSE IMPACTS
    Harm to operations, e.g.:
        Inability to perform current missions/business functions.
        Direct financial costs.
        Harms (e.g., financial costs, sanctions) due to noncompliance with
laws, contracts or regulations.
    Harm to assets, e.g.:
        Damage to or loss of physical facilities.
        Damage to or loss of information systems or networks.
        Damage to or loss of information technology or equipment.
        Damage to or of loss of information assets.
    Harm to individuals, e.g.:
        Injury or loss of life.
        Damage to image or reputation.
    Relational harms, e.g.:
        Damage to trust relationships.
        Damage to reputation (and hence future or potential trust
relationships).
    Damage to or incapacitation of a critical infrastructure sector.

phone  651-647-6109
fax   866-280-2356
web  http://www.haven2.com
handle OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)