ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] the way forward

  • To: DSSA WG <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dssa] the way forward
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:47:22 -0500

hi all,

here's an email to document what we've tentatively decided is our way forward
through the Toronto meeting.  thanks to all who contributed to this -- it's
lots better than where we started.  :-)

i've pasted the text of my preliminary work-plan steps into this note and also
have attached a picture that summarizes things.

please take a look and, if you see something that makes you crazy, let us know.
 presuming that we're on the right track, we'll start breaking up into
subgroups next week to kick off the two big pieces of work ("ID roles -- gaps
and overlaps" and "Identify risk scenario(s) and skills needed for assessment")
next time.

so start thinking about which of those two things you'd like to work on -- and
whether we prefer to break into subgroups at all, or would rather just devote
roughly half of each call to each topic.

thanks,

mikey

DSSA - Workplan - Refine & Consolidate phase

Before Toronto

        Public comment
            Figure out who posts what in this cross-constituency environment
            Post for comment
            Summarize comments
            Wait 'til after Toronto-feedback to revise final Phase I report

        ID roles – gaps & overlaps
            Form subgroup of interested DSSA members
            Determine best approach -- survey?  desk research? desk research
confirmed by letter?
            Develop framework and conduct desk research
                Lay out goals and objectives of the survey -- low key,
informal, nonbinding, aimed at identifying gaps/overlaps, etc.
                Develop introductory material - the model, goals, etc.
                "Test fly" the survey within DSSA and revise
            Confirm results and solicit revisions from SSR ecosystem
participants
                Identify recipients for special invitations in addition to
broad public posting
                Develop questions/topics
                    How do you like our model?  Additions? Changes?
                    What part do you play today?
                    What part would you want to play in the future?
                    Are there things you'd like to give away to somebody else?
                Figure out ground rules for the survey - nature of info,
confidentiality, etc.(goal: public info, no secret stuff)
                Invite responses -- both through public announcement and
targeted outreach
            Summarize results
            Initiate discussion with DNSRMF efforts to prepare for Toronto
"align/integrate" activity

        Identify risk scenario(s) and skills needed for assessment
            Form subgroup of interested DSSA members
            Develop goals, criteria, etc. to use to pick the scenario
            Evaluate the scenarios and identify the best fit
            Develop list of skills, knowledge, etc. needed
            Summarize and review
            Prepare Toronto discussion and "promotional" materials

At Toronto

        Discuss w/AC/SOs to promote enthusiam and recruit new/targeted members
        Align/Integrate DNSRMF and DSSA findings/methods

After Toronto

        Reconstitute the DSSA and validate the model by conducting risk
assessment
            Revisit the methodology with the new people on board

        Refine methods
            Form subgroup of interested DSSA members
            ID desired changes
            Make changes
            Review and get reactions
            Rinse and repeat until done

        Revise report and obtain AC/SO endorsement
            Consolidate/categorize responses
            Review responses and determine DSSA reaction
            Incorporate revisions into the report
            Get AC/SO endorsement

and here's a diagram that summarizes all this

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com