ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[dssa]

[dssa] The plan for next week -- fill out "gaps and overlaps" sheets together on the call

  • To: DSSA WG <dssa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dssa] The plan for next week -- fill out "gaps and overlaps" sheets together on the call
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:58:53 -0500

hi all,

here's just a quick note to summarize what we talked about on the call today,
and sketch out our plan for the call next week.

we're starting to home in on a reasonably stable version of the spreadsheet
that we want to use to collect ideas about who does what when it comes to "the
DNS" as we've defined it for the DSSA.  here's a link to the page where i'm
posting the revisions to that spreadsheet -- please use the latest one,
whatever it happens to be when you hit this page

https://community.icann.org/display/AW/DNS+ecosystem+--+gaps+and+overlaps

the other document that is being posted to that page is a Powerpoint slide that
describes the "landscape" that we're trying to map out.  again, the latest one
is the copy to grab.

the idea we're going to try out is that we'll walk through the spreadsheet
together, each of us filling out a copy on our own computer during the call.
so we won't be sharing our answers on the call, rather we'll be sharing our
questions.  "what do we mean by this?"  "how does that work?"  and so forth.
there are several goals for this work.

-- we'll undoubtedly find things that we want to fix or improve with the
spreadsheet

-- we'll get some experience with the tool

-- we'll get some super-draft, super-preliminary answers that may trigger some
great conversations both in the DSSA and within our respective constituencies

-- we'll make a good start at getting a pile of data that we can use to begin
identifying gaps and overlaps

here are some caveats.  i would view this as just your first draft, so there's
no harm in making a few mistakes.  none of the information that we're
describing should be in any way secret of confidential, if you're going in that
direction you may want to back up to a more "general" level of detail.  it's
absolutely fine to do some of the filling-out in advance if you're more
comfortable doing it that way.  it's absolutely fine doing it in collaboration
with others.

the main thing is not to let perfection get in the way of progress, we'll be
surrounding all this stuff with all sorts of loud "DRAFT" noises for quite a
while.  :-)

thanks,

mikey

phone   651-647-6109