ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eag-feedback]

Important step in the right direction

  • To: <eag-feedback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Important step in the right direction
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 07:46:25 -0400

The ICANN CFO and the ICANN Board finance committee should be complimented
for release of this document, as it represents an important step toward
increased transparency and accountability in connection with ICANN finances.

However, as the comments of AFNIC and Dave Archbold highlight, this is a
beginning and not an end. During my tenure on the ICANN Board finance
committee, I often advocated the use of time sheets among ICANN staff. This
was not because I questioned the dedication and devotion that most ICANN
staff bring to their job 24 hours a day/365 days a year, but because it
provided a much more detailed record to document to the Internet and ICANN
community on how their money was being invested.

ICANN has become a 60 million dollar a year plus global professional
services firm, and just as similarly situated  legal, accountancy and
professional consultancy firms employ time sheets, so should ICANN.  This
increased transparency and documentation should not only extend toward ICANN
staff but also ICANN's growing global army of consultants and lobbyists,
particularly with regard to the procurement practices surrounding this
growing segment of ICANN's budget.