ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

dotEUS | EoI comment

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: dotEUS | EoI comment
  • From: "Iratxe Esnaola Arribillaga | dotEUS Association" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:52:35 +0100 (CET)

DotEUS has followed the new TLD proccess for the last two years.

The dotEUS Association firmly believes that Expressions of Interest may be
a very useful formulation in order to to keep alive potential applicants.
Moreover, we know that EoI is not a
perfect formulation but we do think that it may get us [ ICANN, potential
applicants, ICANN community and wider public ] closer to the introduction
of new TLDs.

As the EoI WG said: ?[...] while the EOI process carries some risks, they
are more than outweighed by its benefits to ICANN, potential applicants,
[...]?. We hope so.

About the answers to Questions posed by ICANN staff.

We think that EoI should request more information about potential
applicants, including also:

1) Wether the applicant is applying for a community-based or standard TLD.

2) In case it is community-based, will the applicant request comparative
evaluation?

We agree on the idea that a fee is needed but we, as a social
non-for-profit project, are really concerned about how long this amount
may be 'blocked'.

Thank you for launching new formulations or initiatives in order to 'open
the window' as soon as possible.