ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

GoDaddy.com's comments on Expressions of Interest in new gTLDs

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: GoDaddy.com's comments on Expressions of Interest in new gTLDs
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 05:31:51 -0700

I participated on the Expression Of Interest (EOI) working group, and in
general support the consensus reached by the WG as posted by Antony Van
Couvering on 17 Nov 2009. I would like to offer GoDaddy.com's comment on
certain areas of concern where the WG did not reach consensus, and
resubmit an alternative proposal.

We do not see the EOI as being helpful in solving the overarching
issues. If the EOI is done prior to resolving the remaining overarching
issues it cannot preclude entities from applying later if they don't
respond to the EOI. In that case, we suspect many if not most potential
applicants will not respond to the EOI. As a result, the EOI would not
provide the needed information to be helpful to the remaining
overarching issues.

That said, we do support an EOI period. In fact, we proposed an almost
identical process back in Dec 2008 but for a different reason (see pages
7 & 8) of: http://forum.icann.org/lists/crai-report/msg00034.html

We believe an EOI period (or Letter of Intent period as we called it)
would provide a better managed and more orderly process for new gTLDs
for the reasons stated in our Dec 2008 proposal. We resubmit that
proposal as attached.

Tim Ruiz
Vice President Corp. Development & Policy
GoDaddy.com, Inc.