ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure

  • To: Palmer Hamilton <PalmerHamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 22:08:17 -0700

Palmer and all,

  LEA's have limited resources for a number of reasons.  Some of these
reasons are a matter of how LEA's utilize the resources they have, some
are as a result of poor or less than optimum budget procedures, and
some are simply due to arbitrary of subjective budget allocation.
However having or not having enough resources is not a good reason
for not doing the job LEA's are supposed to do.

  I myself have spent a number of years working with various law
enforcement agencies both international and domestic, as a member
of MIS, and still do to a much less degree.  I have relatives whom
work for the FBI and INTERPOL as well as intelligence agencies
in various parts of the world.  And at no time was their ever a need
expressed for access to private data in Whois, nor even any need
expressed for ANY access to Whois data at any time that I can
recall.

  Banks have and do on nearly a regular basis put consumers
at risk on a global basis as recent legal cases have shown.  Many
banks whom are federally insured are not by any means regularly
examined as some lawyers whom represent the financial/banking
industry like to contend so as to propagate confidence in the
financial/banking service industry for the general every day
consumer.  Bank examiner fraud is becoming a growing concern
in the U.S. senate see:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14012-2004Jun3.html
Note: there are literally hundreds of other examples.
And in Canada see:
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2000/04/release.20000405_071454_6653_0

So Palmer, to say that banks are examined on any basis is not really
sufficient
evidence, ergo hearsay, to engender confidence or any form or feeling
of safety by or for consumers in and of itself.

Palmer Hamilton wrote:

> Dan,
>
> The problem is a practical one.  Law enforcement has limited resources.
> We might wish that were not the case, but it is, and, realistically, it
> will always be the case.  Law enforcement, as I set out in my earlier
> emails to Milton, expects banks to do the legwork before it will act.
> Maybe it should be otherwise, but this is not the case nor will it ever
> be the case.  In various roles, both in government and working on the
> side of government, I have spent years working on the side of law
> enforcement.  I think it is fair to say that law enforcement's approach
> is virtually an immutable law of nature.  And frankly from law
> enforcement's standpoint, it must set priorities given its limited
> resources.
>
> If banks do not have access to the necessary information, internet users
> and consumers will be put at much greater risk.  It would be nice to
> think that banks and consumers could simply lodge a complaint and that
> the complaint would be immediately acted upon.  But this will never
> happen.  Law enforcement has too much on its plate.  My banks can give
> you page after page of examples to corroborate this.  And remember for
> every hour that passes, millions can be lost, including life savings.
>
> Please take another look at the example in my email to Milton involving
> the local police in a foreign jurisdiction that finally agreed to act,
> but only after the bank had exhausted all avenues and done all the
> legwork.  Realistically, absent bank access to the local address, it is
> unknown how many innocent consumers would have suffered losses before
> this fraudulent website was ever closed down.
>
> You are right that this is a question of balance.  And I would argue
> that consumer protection needs to be prominently considered, not
> dismissed as unfortunate collateral damage.
>
> Banks are closely regulated and monitored entities with public
> responsibilities.  Those responsibilities are examined regularly by bank
> examiners.  As a result, I would submit, consumer protection ought to
> prevail in light of the protections from a privacy standpoint in the
> existing regulatory structure.
>
> Palmer

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827