ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure

  • To: <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] RE: [gnso-whois-wg] Dutch Govcert procedure
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:05:10 -0700

Of course, the FTC's own study showed the opposite of what EPIC stated
-- that Whois is not a significant contributor of e-mail addresses for
spamming purposes.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/spamalrt.shtm Another study
by the Center for Democracy and Technology reached the same conclusion.
See http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml  {"We tested
how much spam would be received to an address provided in the WHOIS
database. Contrary to our expectations, just one spam e-mail was
generated in the six months that our project was operational.") And the
other testimony presented to Congress at the hearing where EPIC
testified is well worth reviewing, including the statements of the
Federal Trade Commission about how they rely upon access to Whois data
to enforce laws that protect consumer privacy, and on how consumer
access to Whois data also assists the FTC in its consumer and privacy
protection mission.  See
http://financialservices.house.gov/media/pdf/071806eh.pdf  (All the
hearing testimony is compiled at
http://financialservices.house.gov/archive/hearings.asp@formmode=detail&;