ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Additional Proposal

  • Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Additional Proposal
  • From: "Margie Milam" <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:50:28 -0600

The value of these services is evident from the marketplace that has
arisen to fill the need and the numerous financial institutions that
have subscribed to these services.  Security Companies (both public and
private) have devoted significant resources in monitoring, detecting and
responding to phishing, and taking down fraudulent web-sites, and use
WHOIS for this purpose.  Banks don't generally desire to spend the
research and development resources necessary to keep up with the
sophisticated phishers and often turn to security companies to assist
them.

Consumers benefit when a fraudulent site is taken down in hours instead
of days because of services like these.

Relying on IP addresses alone does not provide all of the information
necessary to identify domain name phishes because if you shut down one
IP address, they just set up additional ip addresses to host the
fraudulent sites.   The only way to effectively shut down domain based
phishes is to deal with it at the registrar level because the registrar
has the information that can identify the culprit.

Please note that the problem is not just phishing, although phishing is
significant. The problem extends to all kinds of intellectual property
abuse, including the sale of counterfeits, such as counterfeit drugs.
Because law enforcement is ill-equiped and under-resourced, much of the
work falls to the brand holders, many of whom use service providers, to
protect their consumers from illegal online-activities.

Margie