ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

[gnso-acc-sgb] Re: Fw: [gnso-whois-wg] F-Secure Responds To Criticism of .bank

  • To: gnso wg-sgb <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-acc-sgb] Re: Fw: [gnso-whois-wg] F-Secure Responds To Criticism of .bank
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 22:41:38 -0700

Palmer and all sgb members,

  Your proposals checks and balances are in some instances weak
as stated, or entirely not adequate.

  For instance:
1.  Only banks would have access.  Such access would have to be obtained
through the bank's primary bank regulator to prevent impersonators from
gaining access.

  Which banks and how are those banks determined of selected?  Any and
ALL banks?  Surely not.

2.  To gain access, banks would have to certify to their primary
regulator that the access would be used for customer protection from ID
theft, fraud and other abuse.

  What other abuse or abuse's?  Whom determines what other abuse or
abuse's?
  If the bank itself becomes or has been involved in phishing for
instance by
  a disgruntled employee, what compensation to any and all effected
parties
  is or does the bank have to compensate said parties?

 3.  Bank regulators are in banks constantly (and in large banks they
are on premises permanently).   As a result, bank regulators would be
able to monitor that proper use was being made of such access.

  I have done security audits for a number of banks at the request of
banking
regulators and never was a official bank regulator present.  So your
first statement
is grossly inaccurate and leaves your second statement false and
therefore
moot.  Secondly, which bank regulators are you referring to, state,
national?

4.  If a bank failed to honor its obligations to its regulator in this
regard, the bank would be subject to potentially harsh penalties from
its regulator and could lose further access.

Oh I see, " potentially harsh penalties" not definitely harsh penalties,
eh?  Well
that's weak.  And "could close further access"?  Well this is also weak.

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln