ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 00:11:26 -0700

Milton and all sgb members,

  Thank you for your report which I found very useful and
interesting.  I did also consider a few points in  your report
differing from my enturpration of what has been discussed
so far.

To wit:
Your ?:
"What costs are incurred and who bears them?"
I don't recall any discussion directly on whom bares
the costs.  I assume the whom will eventually be
the consumer.

As to "Special sectors." i.e. banks, I would add that
banks as a special sector, are also not widely considered
by consumers to be reasonably well regulated in some
instances which gives concern as to banks as a sector
should be third parties.  Yet some banks would be
fairly well suited for such a role.

Regarding, Propositions suggested by the Chair:

"that LEAs can be recognized categorically as a party with
a legitimate need for access" is false.  Many LEA's yes,
all, no.

As  to "b. The subgroup will not be able to achieve consensus or even
majority
agreement on private party access; therefore we should, in our remaining
time,
concentrate exclusively on reaching agreement on the mechanisms and type
of
access to be granted LEAs.", I tend to agree, as lone as this does not
apply to all LEAs, as some are definitely not legitimate.

And finally regarding,
"c. We should hold a straw poll on whether a special sectoral approach
for banks"
I agree, however we should structure such a straw poll as to delineate
between
some or all banks.

Milton Mueller wrote:

> This report prepares the group for tomorrow's call and is intended to
> set the agenda for it. I apologize for its lateness; it involved
> compiling and trying to make sense of a lot of our discussions, a long
> and difficult task. A pdf and Word doc are attached.
>
> In this report I identify the key points of contention and propose
> actions in an attempt to move forward.
>
> Let me call your attention to the action items it contains. These will
> make more sense once you have read the entire report, but it might be
> useful to expose all members to them upfront:
>
> Propositions suggested by the Chair:
>
>  a. There is consensus that LEAs can be recognized categorically as a
> party with a legitimate need for access.
>
>  b. The subgroup will not be able to achieve consensus or even majority
> agreement on private party access; therefore we should, in our remaining
> time, concentrate exclusively on reaching agreement on the mechanisms
> and type of access to be granted LEAs.
>
>  c. We should hold a straw poll on whether a special sectoral approach
> for banks has widespread support
>
> d. We should hold a straw poll on the degree of support that exists for
> the principle that private parties should only be granted Type 1
> access.
>
> (Type 1 access is defined in the report)
>
> I have not attached all the proposals to this draft as the proposals
> are all available elsewhere and there has (alas) been no conslidation or
> modification of proposals in response to discussion.
>
> I think we will need at least one more telecon (May 29) and possibly
> two to finalize our straw polls and report.
>
> Dr. Milton Mueller
> Syracuse University School of Information Studies
> http://www.digital-convergence.org
> http://www.internetgovernance.org

>                                   Name: Points of contention.doc
>    Points of contention.doc       Type: Microsoft Word Document
> (application/msword)
>                               Encoding: base64
>
>                                   Name: Points of contention.pdf
>    Points of contention.pdf       Type: Portable Document Format
> (application/pdf)
>                               Encoding: base64

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827