ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 07:38:43 +0200

Hi,

I will not be able to be in the call today so wanted to send some comments in.

On 22 maj 2007, at 23.34, Milton Mueller wrote:

 a. There is consensus that LEAs can be recognized categorically as a
party with a legitimate need for access.

I am assuming by consensus you mean rough consensus or support. I for one think that LEAs also need to go through due process in order to obtain the information they claim to require. I also assume I am in the minority on this as it stands.

My assumption includes that notion that this means very little in practice as the due process required for an LEA is a national matter and for the most part, perhaps the EU excepted, this is little more then a formality, including procedures such as the US's "information today for due process tomorrow".

I agree on propositions b-d

a.