ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

[gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow

  • To: <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 17:34:26 -0400

This report prepares the group for tomorrow's call and is intended to
set the agenda for it. I apologize for its lateness; it involved
compiling and trying to make sense of a lot of our discussions, a long
and difficult task. A pdf and Word doc are attached.

In this report I identify the key points of contention and propose
actions in an attempt to move forward.

Let me call your attention to the action items it contains. These will
make more sense once you have read the entire report, but it might be
useful to expose all members to them upfront:

Propositions suggested by the Chair:

 a. There is consensus that LEAs can be recognized categorically as a
party with a legitimate need for access.

 b. The subgroup will not be able to achieve consensus or even majority
agreement on private party access; therefore we should, in our remaining
time, concentrate exclusively on reaching agreement on the mechanisms
and type of access to be granted LEAs.

 c. We should hold a straw poll on whether a special sectoral approach
for banks has widespread support

d. We should hold a straw poll on the degree of support that exists for
the principle that private parties should only be granted Type 1
access.

(Type 1 access is defined in the report)

I have not attached all the proposals to this draft as the proposals
are all available elsewhere and there has (alas) been no conslidation or
modification of proposals in response to discussion.

I think we will need at least one more telecon (May 29) and possibly
two to finalize our straw polls and report.

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org