ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow

  • To: <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>, <DFares@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:04:11 -0400

>>> "Fares, David" <DFares@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 05/22/07 5:47 PM >>>
>Could you please expound upon and explain the implications of your
>proposition b, namely that we will not achieve consensus on private
>party access?  It was my understanding that this WG was tasked with
>achieving consensus so as to bridge the differences between those who
>supported the OPOC proposals and those who had concerns about it.

Hi, David:
Fair enough question....

We have ten proposals with radically different approaches to private
party access, ranging from "none" to formats that are almost
indistinguishable from open access. Since those proposals were laid on
the table over the past three weeks there has been no consolidation of
proposals, even very similar ones, and no discernable movement in the
various camps.

After racking my brains for several days trying to think of ways to
bridge the differences laid out before us in the 10-odd proposals, I
simply couldn't see any reasonable likelihood of agreement on those
particular issues. (Would be happy to be proven wrong) On the other
hand, we seem pretty close to agreement on LEAs. So I'm suggesting we
move forward where we can.