ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 22:03:41 -0700

Milton and all sgb members,

  I agree, in the sgb we don't have consensus on who, how, or what
access any private sector third party could or should have nor in what
format of means which such access to Whois data would be.  And
we are not in consensus as to whether ALL LEA's should have
unrestricted access.

Milton Mueller wrote:

> >Could you please expound upon and explain the implications of your
> >proposition b, namely that we will not achieve consensus on private
> >party access?  It was my understanding that this WG was tasked with
> >achieving consensus so as to bridge the differences between those who
> >supported the OPOC proposals and those who had concerns about it.
>
> Hi, David:
> Fair enough question....
>
> We have ten proposals with radically different approaches to private
> party access, ranging from "none" to formats that are almost
> indistinguishable from open access. Since those proposals were laid on
> the table over the past three weeks there has been no consolidation of
> proposals, even very similar ones, and no discernable movement in the
> various camps.
>
> After racking my brains for several days trying to think of ways to
> bridge the differences laid out before us in the 10-odd proposals, I
> simply couldn't see any reasonable likelihood of agreement on those
> particular issues. (Would be happy to be proven wrong) On the other
> hand, we seem pretty close to agreement on LEAs. So I'm suggesting we
> move forward where we can.

Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827