ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:09:34 +0200

On 23 maj 2007, at 15.17, Milton Mueller wrote:

Thanks, Avri, sorry you can't be with us. I found two aspects of your
response ambiguous and hope you can clarify:

Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> 5/23/2007 1:38 AM >>>
I for one think that LEAs also need to go through
due process in order to obtain the information they claim to
require.  I also assume I am n the minority on this as it stands.

Your "due process" view seems to be fully compatible with the idea that
LEAs categorically are recognized as a third party with a legitimate
claim to access.

I guess I think there is a difference between the LEAs having open and broad access to the unpublished information versus a situation where LEAs still need to go through their legal processes on a case by case basis. I acknowledged that these processes vary with national law and circumstance and believe that determining which of these processes or LEAs is legitimate is beyond the mandate of ICANN. So I accept that LEAs are special and that the national laws may define special circumstance (such as filing for a warrant after the access) that determine the type of procedure they must undergo in order to obtain access, but I do not accept that LEAs have access simply because they are LEAs.

If, and only if, this is what you mean, then yes, I would agree with the proposition, but it was unclear to me that this is what were agreeing to.

I agree on propositions b-d

Propositions c and d call for straw polls. Does your agreement only mean that you think we should hold such straw polls, or are you expressing an opinion on the issues? If is it the latter, I will need more information, and since you can't be on the call it would be appropriate to express your view via email on the list.

i was agreeing with the decision for a straw poll. as i don't know the exact wording of those polls (did i miss that in the email?) i find it difficult to indicate how i will respond to the poll.

In general:
- I do _not_ support special sectoral privileges
- I beleive alternative 1, is too loose and believe that suspicion is inadequate, but rather that the suspicion needs to be sufficiently reasonable and substantiated for the applicable legal processes to grant access. I might also support some form of the agency approach similar to that described by Wout on 23 May - but do not believe that this is an option we have before us and assume that it could be locally defined as a form of due process.
- I do _not_ support granting 2nd or 3rd degree access.

a.