ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow

  • To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 07:13:13 +0200

Hi,

On 24 maj 2007, at 04.09, Palmer Hamilton wrote:

Second, in the case of identity theft, the consumer certainly experiences the serious and often devastating adverse consequences. Anyone who has been the victim of ID theft can easily speak to this. It is fine for us to talk about these issues in the abstract, but talk to a victim of ID theft, and he or she will likely not be too impressed some of the arguments we have been hearing.

I may be confusing the topics somewhat, but one of the reasons I have for having as little of the information about registrants available to as few as possible is indeed to avoid giving ID thieves the information they need to steal the ID. So considering that the vast majority (anyone have an idea of the real %ages?) of registrants are good law abiding folks and only a very few are ID thieving bad guys isn't the greater good served more by keeping the information as restricted as possible?

a.