ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow

  • To: Palmer Hamilton <PalmerHamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>, dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Report for tomorrow
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 14:21:09 -0700 (PDT)

Here is the data from a spam I received from whom it says.  I have no
connection with this institution.
   Fwd: Bank of America alert : Sign-in Error : Verify Your Account Information

Palmer Hamilton <PalmerHamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Dan,

Let me address why the consumer is at risk as well as the bank.

First, not all risk is off loaded to the bank.  There can be circumstances
where the consumer can be held liable.

Second, in the case of identity theft, the consumer certainly experiences the
serious and often devastating adverse consequences.  Anyone who has been the
victim of ID theft can easily speak to this.  It is fine for us to talk about
these issues in the abstract, but talk to a victim of ID theft, and he or she
will likely not be too impressed some of the arguments we have been hearing.

So, yes, banks do have an interest in limiiting their exposure, but that
interest coincides with the interest of the consumer.  And, yes, there are
unfortunately circumstances where life savings can be wiped out.  This isn't
rhetoric.  This is unfortunate reality.

I would submit that good public policy requires a careful balancing of
interests.  When this is done, I think it is clear that a construct exists that
will protect the consumer and protect the privacy concerns being expressed.  I
fear that our subgroup does not seem to be engaged in this serious work.
Instead, we seem to be holding fast to positions without exploring creative
constructs that protect multiple interests.

To totally ignore the risk to the consumer, it seems to me, in order to uphold
the theoretical, is neither wise nor justifiable.