ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Second draft report for Subgroup B

  • To: <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Second draft report for Subgroup B
  • From: "Palmer Hamilton" <PalmerHamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:17:35 -0500

Avri,

You are exactly right.  National law will determine whether legislation would
be required in order for the access process to work under the Blended Proposal.
 Some governmental bank regulators may conclude that they lack the legislative
authority to participate in the program absent legislation.

As others have noted, ICANN is not necessarily capable of totally addressing
the question of access if the current open access is dropped.

Nevertheless, the Blended Proposal would create a process that would lessen the
risk to internet users with a process designed to prevent abuse AND provide an
audit trail.

While the Blended Proposal is sector-specific, it is this sector that is on the
front line in terms of phishing.  It is this sector that is positioned to
protect internet users from financial fraud and identity theft.  I hope our
colleagues will not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  If we can reach
some middle ground that will protect millions of consumers, why reject it
because its application is limited to banks?

As Ken Stubbs discussed several weeks ago in our conference call, banks have a
unique posture with consumers.  They are uniquely positioned to protect
consumers.  And fraudsters use bank names to defraud consumers.  The Blended
Proposal will give the banks the tools they need to fight these fraudsters
through a process to prevent abuse and with an audit trail to insure that abuse
doesn't occur.