ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Blended proposal

  • To: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-acc-sgb] Blended proposal
  • From: "Palmer Hamilton" <PalmerHamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 08:16:43 -0500

Milton,

PayPal does not hold a bank charter.

Palmer

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Milton Mueller
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:13 AM
To: gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx

p.s., another interesting question for Palmer: is PayPal a "bank"?

>>> "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx> 5/30/2007 9:01 AM >>>

>>> Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> 5/30/2007 2:52 AM >>>
>why would such a procedure be
>restricted to banks? wouldn't it be equally applicable to any sector
>that could get the country it was in to create the laws it wanted.

That was the same question I had.
Palmer's reply did not really answer it, but there is an answer.

The answer is that a) governmentally-charted banks are easier to
certify, and b) a query screening protocol that is focused on a specific
set of problems (e.g., phishing) would be more workable than a general
one.

I personally would have little objection to the implementation of a
proposal like this if it was restricted to banks pursuing time-sensitive
Internet-based fraud that targets bank consumers.

I think the proposal would break down if applied more widely.

There are also some important missing elements in the proposal.
* Who would establish this query-screening process: ICANN?
* How would the centralized database be established?