ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-acc-sgb]

Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Blended proposal

  • To: <gnso-acc-sgb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-acc-sgb] Blended proposal
  • From: Dan Krimm <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 06:20:35 -0700

At 9:01 AM -0400 5/30/07, Milton Mueller wrote:

>There are also some important missing elements in the proposal.
>* Who would establish this query-screening process: ICANN?
>* How would the centralized database be established?

Yes.

With regard to a general solution, I had envisioned that it might be
possible to organize an open source project to do this, with coordination
resources hired at ICANN (one or at the most two full-time positions filled
by experienced open-source manager(s)?).

Advantages of open source:
 - a single standard of interoperability
 - reduced development costs (though perhaps slightly extended timeline)
 - no purchase/license costs to (LEA, etc.) users
 - high security level (many eyeballs looking over the code for flaws)

Audit trail databases might be segmented according to jurisdiction, with
interoperability between jurisdictions.  Ideally, there would be separate
jurisdictions for audit oversight/enforcement vs. query-approval authority.

Again, just blue-skying here, fully open to improvement suggestions.

See you on the call soon.

Dan