ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

RE: [gnso-arr-dt] ARR Drafting Team - suggested framework for comments

  • To: "William Drake" <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Caroline Greer" <cgreer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-arr-dt] ARR Drafting Team - suggested framework for comments
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:45:34 -0500

I inserted a few responses below.

Chuck

________________________________

        From: owner-gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of William Drake
        Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 9:58 AM
        To: Caroline Greer
        Cc: gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx; glen@xxxxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: [gnso-arr-dt] ARR Drafting Team - suggested framework for
comments

        Hi

        On Jan 11, 2010, at 5:56 AM, Caroline Greer wrote:

                Dear all,

                Personally speaking, I am not 100% on board with the fact that
the Review Team members (and indeed the independent experts) are ultimately
selected by the GAC Chair and Board Chair/ICANN CEO, rather than by the
stakeholder groups themselves. However, since this is provided for in 9.3.1 of
the AoC, I guess that’s not even on the table for discussion or indeed group
comment.

        We went through the same issues in the IGF with the MAG.  Many
stakeholders felt they should be able to directly appoint people, but the
ultimate solution was a centralized source of decision making that could pick
freely from stakeholder nominees and, if desired, others (how the SG was to
operate was never formalized).  In this case, my understanding of the staff doc
is that the Selectors must pick from the volunteers identified AC/SOs, so that
bounds things a bit, so if an AC/SO has a candidate or two it really wants it
shouldn't submit too large a pool.  An unknown is the independent experts; it
seems the Selectors have free reign here.  We might consider whether we think
the AC/SOs should at least be able to suggest names for these slots,
recognizing the Selectors would still have discretion.[Gomes, Chuck]  Seems
like a good suggestion to me.

                And since that is the case, to my mind it does seem to suggest
that, as Chuck points out, the task of the Review Team members is not to
directly represent the groups they come from but rather to review the evidence
gathered to determine whether the indicators were satisfied and then document
those conclusions.

        Personally, I don't see that this entirely follows from the Selectors
being able to pick, for at least two reasons. [Gomes, Chuck]  I agree that it
does not follow from 'the Selectors being able to pick'.  First, per previous,
it's entirely possible the 'objective' metrics will not viewed as objective and
sufficient. [Gomes, Chuck]  Agreed.  For example, let's say you try to measure
transparency by whether documents are publicly released in advance and other
obvious procedurals.  Some parties may have had experiences and concerns that
are not captured by such metrics.  I can certainly say that noncommercial folks
have often experienced some murky processes that would not be reflected by just
checking such boxes, and it's exceedingly easy to imagine some denouncing sole
reliance on this approach as a white wash, which would not be good for the
process.  So I hope the RTs will have some means of taking on board particular
narrative experiences that the metrics may not capture.

        Second, in the IGF, MAG people have been formally treated as
independent experts, and this has generated issues. Some members have opted to
coordinate with and be guided by the stakeholder groups that nominated them,
subject to the Charter House rule etc, while others have acted as sort of free
spirits, to the displeasure of those who nominated them.  I think it'd be good
to have a clear and harmonized understanding either way.[Gomes, Chuck]   Agree.
 My preference would be that RT members not be 'representatives' in the sense
that they are bound to do whatever their AC/SO says, but that they do have some
obligation to keep their nominators up to speed on the main issues with some
periodic reporting and be prepared to at least pass along any important
consensus inputs received by the AC/SO or a notable minority thereof. [Gomes,
Chuck]  Well put.  Bottom line, I don't think it'd be good for the process for
any AC/SO or SG to feel disenfranchised, like they can't even get their main
concerns on the table where relevant to the task.  That'd be asking for
trouble; do we want to risk groups denouncing the process as unaccountable and
its decisions as unreflective community views?

                Nonetheless, I think it is important that this point is
clarified – ie, are the Review Team members really working on an individual /
independent basis or are they in any way working to represent their stakeholder
groups? Also, I would suggest that we attempt to define the purpose of the
public comment period and whether an appointment could in fact be overturned by
community comment (and what could trigger such an overturn?).

        If the Selectors must pick from the nominees, this presumably wouldn't
be a problem.  But am I reading that incorrectly?

                Since the Selectors (the GAC Chair etc) will be working to a
list of human and professional skills / evaluation criteria for selection
purposes, I think it would be worth pushing for early publication of same.
There is little point in the GNSO Council trying to come up with a list of
selection criteria for the pool of volunteers which could be completely at odds
with that used by the Selectors.

        Agree

                To help organize our thoughts and in advance of Wednesday’s
call, below is a suggested framework for our comments. Please feel free to edit
as you see fit. We may not reach agreement on all these issues of course, in
which case the list of items could be reduced.

                1.      General Comments on Draft ICANN Proposal

                *       Interpretation of AoC Document [any inconsistencies /
need for clarification?]

                *       Composition-Selection-Size of Review Team [and
selection of Experts]

        Aside from the size issue, how do people feel about this bit from the
draft, "Not␣all␣SOs/ACs␣should␣
necessarily␣be␣involved␣in␣all␣review␣teams,␣but␣only␣those␣that␣by␣their␣mission␣or␣
 focus␣are␣relevant␣to␣the␣subject␣of␣each␣review."  For example, the draft has
the security stability group including "GNSO,␣ccNSO,␣ASO,␣ALAC␣(1␣2)␣"  Does
this mean that GNSO might not have someone on this team, as we'd have to share
1 or 2 slots with four bodies (if I'm reading right)?[Gomes, Chuck]  Note that
not all groups will proposed for all review teams but the GNSO was included in
all of them.  We may want to make a brief statement that we believe that all
four review teams are relevant to the GNSO.

                *       Proposed Review Methodology[Gomes, Chuck]  Per my

                *       Proposed List of Activities

                *       Proposed Timeline-Review Cycles

                *       Proposed Budget

        We could in principle comment on all these if we have concerns, but my
guess is some will fall out. [Gomes, Chuck]  Agree.  Do we have concerns with
the time line, budget, etc?

                2.      Draft Selection Criteria for GNSO Council rep

                *       Qualitative criteria for selection of candidates

                *       Quantitative criteria for selection of candidates

                *       Selection / Endorsement Process

        Am I correctly recalling that AC/SOs can nominate people who are in
their communities but not in elected positions?[Gomes, Chuck]   I don't recall
seeing that anywhere.  If so, are there any special issues concerning how
choices between councilors and non-councilors would be dealt with?[Gomes,
Chuck]  Those are issues that I think we need to deal with ourselves.  A
related questions: would it be better to nominate GNSO insiders or not?

        Best,

        Bill