ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Call for Applicants for the Position of Volunteer Review Team Member

  • To: <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>, <olgac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Call for Applicants for the Position of Volunteer Review Team Member
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:13:07 -0500

I think Wolf is correct that we should anticipate that other groups will want
equity in increased numbers if the GNSO numbers increase and that we should
provide justification for any requests we make in that regard.  Here are a
couple possible reasons we could give, in no particular order: 1) GNSO
registrants pay fees that fund well over 90% of ICANN's activities; 2) because
a large majority of ICANN policy development work relates to GNSO issues, the
results of the AoC reviews potentially could have greater impact on the GNSO
community than other ICANN communities.  I personally think that other possible
justifications such as our bicameral structure and our diversity would be less
effective because others could reframe the arguments from their perspective as
well.  For example: 1) if we argue that our bicameral structure warrants at
least two GNSO members per RT team, then the ccNSO could argue that they should
have one for each of the five regions and the ALAC could argue that they need
one from each their regions; 2) if we argue that we are more diverse, then the
ccNSO could argue that they cover all countries and regions of the world as
could the ALAC.

I would qualify the following statement by Wolf: "We should not impose any
barriers for GNSO members to volunteer." Whether we call them barriers or not,
we should establish what we believe are the best qualifications for volunteers
to maximize the chances of success for the reviews themselves and the chances
of the GNSO RT members neutrally providing expertise regarding all GNSO
stakeholders.  I think that any qualifications we define should be communicated
before volunteers are solicited so that potential volunteers can self-evaluate
their decisions. Also, predefining qualifications provides a basis for Council
endorsements after volunteers are solicited, hopefully reducing the possible
perception that the criteria were designed to eliminate particular individuals.

Finally, and I think this is in agreement with Wolf, I believe that there
should be very strong support for every volunteer we put forward so that
whichever ones the selectors choose, we would be confident that the ICANN
community as a whole and the GNSO community as a whole would be well served.
Put more directly, I recommend that any volunteers we endorse should have at
least a supermajority support of both houses. I don't know if this is
achievable, but it would be something to strive for.

Chuck