ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

[gnso-arr-dt] Draft ARR Letter

  • To: gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-arr-dt] Draft ARR Letter
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:38:13 +0100

Hello,

Hope everyone's week end is going well...Following consultation with Caroline
and Zahid, below is a short initial draft that tries to take on board the
various points people have made on the call and online.  If it misses anything
or you'd prefer other wording, have at it and edit/amend/substitute to taste.
If I recall correctly Chuck said we should get this to Council by Wednesday, so
we have a couple days to whack it around...

Cheers,

Bill

---------------

The GNSO Council largely supports the approach outlined in the draft proposal
on the Affirmation Reviews Requirements and Implementation Processes.  In the
hope of strengthening the processes and ICANN’s ability to satisfy the AoC
requirements, we would like to offer the following observations and
recommendations.

1.  Size and Composition of the Review Teams

The draft argues that, “there is no doubt that the review teams should be kept
small. This self-evident assumption is confirmed by the volume of literature on
group dynamics.  [sic] Also, the optimal size of working, consensus-based
groups is often considered to be between six and eight individuals.”
Accordingly, the draft recommends teams of that size.  We have four concerns
with this approach.

First, a broader review of the relevant literatures---e.g. on negotiation
analysis, collective action, and international cooperation---would reveal that
the relationship between group size and effectiveness is highly indeterminate.
Indeed, whether collaborative decision-making processes succeed or fail depends
on a variety of contextual and other factors that are wholly unrelated to group
size.  Second, larger groups successfully undertake consensus-based work in
ICANN and related institutional settings all the time, and the review teams are
likely to include people from the community that have participated in such
efforts and understand what is required to achieve productive and
well-supported outcomes.

Third, what really is self-evident is that the review teams will need to
perform a great deal of work on demanding schedules.  This is especially so
with regard to the first review on accountability and transparency.   Even with
the envisaged staff support, the members of very small teams would likely be
hard pressed to manage the work loads alongside all their other
responsibilities.  Designating alternates might reduce the risk of any members
proving unable to fully participate or handle the tasks at hand, but relying on
alternates could raise other process management issues.

Fourth, selecting just one member from each relevant of the AC/SOs (or less, in
the case of Security, Stability and Resiliency team) seems especially
problematic.  In particular, it would greatly reduce the teams’ ability to
leverage the available expertise, fail to reflect the community’s diverse
interests and experiences with respect to the issues under assessment, and
hence could reduce the degree of “buy in” on the final products.  These
concerns are particularly acute with respect to the GNSO, which comprises four
broad stakeholder groups that have unique roles and perspectives and that could
be mostly deeply impacted by the results of the AoC reviews (e.g. on such
issues as competition and consumer trust and choice, WHOIS, and the policy
development process).   [To add, per Chuck?:  It might also be noted that GNSO
registrants pay fees that fund well over 90% of ICANN's activities.]

Accordingly, we suggest that the review teams be expanded to twelve to fifteen
members, and that the GNSO be allocated at least two slots [Zahid suggests "two
or even three"] on each team, including for the one for Security, Stability and
Resiliency.  We recognize that these revisions would have budgetary and
operational implications, but we are convinced that they are necessary to
fulfill the AoC mandate and to ensure high-quality and broadly supported
outcomes.

Given the important roles they will play in the process and the importance of
engaging specialized expertise from across the community, we also suggest that
AC/SOs be able to suggest Independent Experts for consideration by the
Selectors.

Finally, we would appreciate any clarification as to the evaluation criteria
that will be used to select from the pool of nominees. This will better enable
the GNSO to undertake its own assessment of candidates and to maximize
nominees’ degree of fit with the desired skill sets and expertise.

2. Communication and Coordination with the Community

We agree with the draft that Review team members are not to “represent”
particularistic interests, and that they should be broadly neutral and focused
on the collective good of the ICANN community as a whole.  Participants must
have the operational autonomy needed to function in this manner, and should not
be unduly influenced by the immediate debates and sources of contention that
arise across the ICANN ecosystem.  But at the same time, it would be
undesirable for the teams to work in hermetically sealed boxes cut off from the
community, or to rely only on the public comment periods for input on the
review processes.  A mechanism should be established to allow an appropriate
measure of two-way communication when needed.

The GNSO Council therefore proposes that review team members drawn from the
AC/SOs be mandated to periodically update their nominating bodies on the main
developments and issues of direct relevance to them.  In parallel, these team
members should be able to solicit inputs from their SO/ACs when this would be
helpful, and be prepared to pass along unsolicited inputs that their nominating
bodies agree would be particularly important to take under consideration.
Obviously, any such communications would need to respect reasonable
restrictions like the Chatham House rule, and the SO/ACs should be expected to
exercise prudence and to only make use of the opportunity when it is necessary
to support the teams and/or convey major concerns.

3.  Support Teams

Even if the size of the review teams is expanded per the above, managing all
the work envisaged over extended time periods will be very challenging. As
such, it is reasonable to expect that there will be instances where some
task-specific support may be needed, e.g. with data collection, that would
impose a substantial burden on both team members and the staff.  One way of
addressing these challenges would be to constitute a support team for each
review that can be turned to for targeted assistance.  Such teams could drawn
from the pools of nominees that were not selected for review team membership.
If those pools were not sufficiently robust or did not offer the specialized
expertise needed, the SO/ACs could suggest additional names for consideration
by the Selectors.  [Zahid suggests: "Adequate staff support would also be
necessary and appropriate administrative costs associated with intensive staff
support should be allocated to the work to be undertaken by the review team.]

4.  Operational Considerations

The GNSO Council wishes to comment on three elements of the draft concerning
the working methods and conduct of the review teams.

First, we would like to emphasize the importance of employing quantitative
performance indicators that are as objective and measurable as possible and are
sensitive to ICANN’s particular characteristics.  In parallel, it is essential
that the qualitative indicators and associated methodology effectively draw on
the range of expert analysis and capture community members’ actual experiences
with the respective processes and issues.  Designing and employing these
indicators in a neutral, balanced and scientific manner will be a significant
challenge, but it is also a prerequisite for evaluative fairness and good
community receptions of the reports.

Second, while the review teams must conduct their own exercises and come to
their own conclusions, it important to recall that ICANN has long undertaken a
range of process assessments that could be drawn on, some of which are ongoing.
 In this connection, we note in particular that AOC 9.1.e) calls for an
assessment of the policy development process.  The GNSO is of course actively
engaged in such an effort in the context of its current restructuring and
respectfully suggests that the results of our assessment be given full
consideration in this review.

Finally, we would much appreciate clarification as to how consensus in the
decision making process will be defined.

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and