ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-arr-dt]

RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Review Team Nominee Selection Process

  • To: "William Drake" <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-arr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-arr-dt] Review Team Nominee Selection Process
  • From: "Caroline Greer" <cgreer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:20:17 -0000

Thanks for kicking this off Bill.

We have not really discussed this yet within the Registries Stakeholder Group,
although we have a call on Wednesday after which I hope to be able to forward
some more definitive views.

As to actual individual candidate qualifications, Chuck had started this
conversation recently with the following thoughts which I think are a good
baseline:

1. Availability and willingness to commit the time (Question for our group: do
we immediately eliminate candidates who have other significant leadership
responsibilities in the community? This could include GNSO leaders and perhaps
NomCom reps).
2. The criteria listed in the current Call for Applicants.
3. Demonstrated trustworthiness to function neutrally and objectively.

I am of the opinion that we should let each SG come up with their own internal
process to present candidates (using the candidate qualifications as a guide)
and I am ok with Avri's suggestion that 3 from each SG be put forward. If we do
not limit those candidates to the strict confines of each SG and clearly state
as much - ie, a SG could nominate someone from outside of their group - we may
not need to worry about candidates who do not fit neatly into one category? I
am trying to think of an example of someone who would not be represented
somewhere however. It is also likely that some third parties will send in their
applications directly to ICANN, in which case they will have an opportunity to
be considered anyway by the Selectors.

We will need some sort of voting mechanism for the Council and I don't have any
particular objections to Avri's suggestion at this time although I want to
think about it some more. We would also need visibility of the applications
relating to each candidate beforehand in order to evaluate and vote.
Alternatively, a representative from each SG could take it upon themselves to
present an overview of each candidate to the Council.

Caroline.